30-Second Word Whoop: “Hogwash”
“Hogwash” seems an oxymoron, unless the pig in question is awash in mud.
The term comes from the slop that pigs sloppily eat — a farm mix of refuse that swine have a hard time refusing. Fascinating how many loosey-goosey synonyms for hogwash we can find on the farm:
- balderdash (on Scottish farms, a mix of milk and ale)
- baloney (homonym for “bologna,” made from the pigs)
- bilge water
- bull dust
- a load of manure, crap, shit, etc.
- fiddle-faddle (using corn from the farm)
- horse feathers (mythically speaking)
- humbug (chasing the horseflies)
- poppycock (daddy rooster? No, literally “soft dung”)
I’m on a sausage roll.
It’s all nonsense, however you slice it. Whether or not there’s truly a bacon shortage, there’s no shortage of ways to say “nonsense” — so no sense limiting yourself to “nonsense.”
A few choice more, for the rinse:
- soft soap